One Foot At A Time
As part of “Rise Above Plastics Month,” the Surfrider Foundation and Teva are proud to present the third annual “One Foot At A Time” plastic cleanup event.
This fun and exciting event brings together volunteers from across the country to raise awareness of the dangers of plastic pollution by removing pieces of plastic trash from our environment one square foot at a time, and using the material to create unique mosaics from the downloadable templates.
After creating your work of art, be sure to snap a photo and email it to OneFoot@surfrider.org so that we can share your art with the world. Surfrider Foundation will judge all submissions and hand out prizes for our favorites.
Check out the list of Surfrider Foundation Chapters participating in “Rise Above Plastics Month,” and join them for a beach cleanup to collect your trash. Not near a chapter? No problem! The great thing about “One Foot At A Time” is that anyone can participate anywhere. Grab a bag and some gloves and head out to your favorite spot that you know could use a loving cleanup.
Here’s how you can participate in the “One Foot At A Time” contest:
- CLICK HERE to download one or all of the templates
- Print the templates and tape the pieces together
- Go outside and collect as much plastic and trash as you can
- Arrange the pieces of trash you’ve collected on your “One Foot At A Time” template. Make sure and cover the entire gridded area. Be creative – try and utilize the various shapes and colors of the plastic pieces you’ve collected to make your mosaic unique
- Take a photo of your mosaic and send it to us at OneFoot@surfrider.org. Make sure to include your full name and location where you collected the trash to create your art. All photos must be submitted by Wednesday, October 30.
- Properly dispose of your “One Foot At A Time” mosaic in an appropriate waste container designated for recycling
We will be sharing your pictures on our Facebook Page, and there will be six winning designs (one for each template) and one grand prize winner chosen from the top six! The top six will be revealed on Halloween and the grand prize winner will be announced on Friday, November 1.
The six winning designs will receive vouchers for Teva shoes and a Surfrider Foundation reusable water bottle, and the grand prize winner will receive a Timbertek Firewire surfboard!
For a complete list of rules, click here.